mercredi, octobre 05, 2005

My Crush vs. My Damnation


The word "crush" strikes me as both an odd and extremely telling word. How can our Bambi-like romantic dramas, our initial and informal executions of stuttered speech, stealthy glances, and sly showmanship towards the opposite sex(or same sex, choose your best fit) be reduced to a giggle inspiring word? I've seen grown adults reduced to beet red, blubbering fools as they utter the word C-R-U-S-H in a hurried half-whisper, half-shriek.
I call for a veto of this word, a complete removal of it from the lover's lexicon. The word crush is merely a euphemism for when we fall victim to Cupid's cruel rectal probe. Pierced, wounded, shot down: we find ourselves a dream and a heart-shaped scribble away from our buffoonish demise. So perhaps, crush is a telling word for what is ultimately awaiting us: defeat, humiliation, restlessness, and anticipation. Gasp! Therefore, I purpose a more honest form of introduction. Instead of saying "[insert name] is my crush" we should say "[insert name]is my damnation." By saying "My damnation" you accept full responsibility for your dopamine induced stupidity when in the presence of this person. Additionally, the word damnation has a morally rich, bloody, and Judeo-Christian connotation. Think: Romans feeding tender Christian chops to hungry lions. Think: Spanish Inquisition. Think: John the Baptist's head on your Aunt Edna's heirloom platter.The word crush is too flat, too secular in connotation. Think: Foot accidentally pressing down on a garden snail. Think: Hammer missing a nail and landing on your thumb. Think: Crowded bus with standing people. What's the difference between the word crush and the word damnation you ask? The degree of hyperbole. Always opt for the phrase "my damnation" over "my crush" because if ever you are rejected by your potential snuggle bug, you can then feign martyrdom rather than loserdom.


So whose your "damnation"?

12 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Southernspeak4 said...

Wow, IB? What you have to say...you slay me.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAA. Oh.

Anyway, as for me, being in Al-Anon, I understand the tendency to play/end up the martyr well, crush or no crush.:)

Allll rigghtt, who's the guy, do tell...:)

I haven't had that lovin' feeling for anyone in a while now. I guess I still have a crush on the one guy I dated before my STBX husband because it never ran it's course, only about two months.

He panicked and decided he wasn't ready for the "instant family" after all, which was a shame because he was the only guy I seriously dated after Bub's father - he was Bubby's student teacher and she had grown very attached to him. That's okay, at least he was honest and better to know then.

However, I welcome my new "damnation", whoever that may be, when I'm ready...which will probably be right after Bubby's college graduation. :)

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Silvia E Manrique said...

I have several damnations. Several...each one more complicated and unrequited than the last.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Southernspeak4 said...

Oh, IB! That is really sweet of you to say!...but I think those things only apply to you in this case.:)

As for your surfer friend, someone once said to me that we often crush people (not crush underfoot, lol, you know what I mean) not really for who they are but what they represent to us...an archetype of something that we think is missing from us or is a hidden aspect of ourselves. Once you see the flaws and still want more, ya know it's love.

Awww, precious...gag, choke, cough.

???

Anyway, I think the hidden aspect/archetype might be true in your surfer's case and my former flame...though I think there are often similarities in personality that are part of the draw too.

So the trick is finding that hidden aspect within ourselves and pulling her out and then we won't crush anyone, just use men for sex! Wait, no...well, something like that.

I want the Margaret Mead way of life regarding relationships...one for sex, one for family/marriage, and one for companionship, only not consecutively...concurrently.;)

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

Southern,

Thank you for teaching me a thing or two today. I didn't know that M. Mead had such a high brow lifestyle. Wow. I admire her more for it now.
And I completely agree with you about unconsciously seeking out archetypes.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm pretty inspirational.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

Sure Calzone, you are inspirational..... to old ladies that is!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Epiphany Grove said...

That was great.

Luckily right now, unless you count Wentworth Miller from Prison Break, I have no crushes, err...damnations.

I totally support the word change, it's impossible to sound adult using the word "crush."

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

Wentworh Miller, eh? I would have to agree with you. He is the sort of convict I wouldn't mind sharing a bunk bed with. Although, he is too pretty boy for me to be honest. I actually prefer my men a little creepier say: Willem Dafoe.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger JLee said...

Great post! However, I like to use the word "crush" because it implied childish whimsy, like Sylvie says "unrequited" or admiring from afar. Now the damnation comes in when I fall "IN LOVE" :0 I'm going straight into the bowels of HELL...lol

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I concur with change in word as aforementioned scrutiny of the two words leads to making damnation a more appropriate choice of word when adults make the mistake. Yes mistake I say, because it is not real, and neither is damnation for that matter...but both are mistakes, and there is a way out of this apparent abyss that manifests itself in the form of a causal martyrdom. But, then again, what is real? The dopamine induced stupidity is all too familiar, but what isn’t that obvious is the inherent ability to introspect the essence of that stupidity. And until ye learn to let go and become free, ye shall be the subject and object of damnation.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger FRITZ said...

Yes! YES! You live in this strange euphoria where said 'crush', either aware or unaware of your existence, extends complete control over your every thought and this is mind-boggling idiotic. You're smarter than this! Genuinley a better person than this! No Britney Spears, here! No lovesick Ophelia or Beatrice! Alack!...

Who's the guy?

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

Ah Fritz,

There is no guy, at the moment. There was one. He was a Cambridge scholar/surfer. Lives 4 hours away from me now. Still love the damn fool, but it is getting better. I'm trying rid myself of any new infatuations that may arise. I heard the grocery store is a good place to meet men of substance.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home