mardi, septembre 20, 2005

When Ambition Fails To Take Off: Turn To The Greek Gods For Sage Advice


I admit it: I am a loser. No applause please. I graduated from a prestigious university for the sciences( or so I have been told, I still don't believe them-- those academic Mary Poppins who called themselves my professors); I majored in biochemistry and cell biology; and as an undergraduate I worked in a reputable lab where I studied cancer pathways.
Now let's fill in the unsightly details: I went to a prestigious university where 58% of the entering freshman had a GPA of 4.0, the rest had a GPA greater than 4.0. One classmate threw themselves off of the 8th floor of the Biology Department ( very bloody scene, they literally had to "pick up the pieces" and pull down the shutters). One engineering student blew his brains out in the garage of his apartment( by all accounts everybody said he was a cheerful and kind soul). A postdoctoral fellow working in a lab below mine, hung himself and left a note saying that he felt over worked and blamed his PI for being a slave driver( this PI also happened to be my cancer biology professor; very nice Asian woman who looked like Sailor Moon, but believe me, could kick ass like Jet Li; she was one of only two professors on campus who gave a final worth a 100% of your grade. Of course, she did give a pseudo midterm which she didn't grade, but people took just to see if they should drop the class. And yes, the class was considerably roomier the day after the mock midterm. The night before the final I prayed to God, Allah, Buddha, Shiva, and slept with the Torah tucked under my pillow, and I consider myself an atheist. Final: 20 questions each a paragraph long. Time allotted for test: 3 hours. Number of students who left the test before the 3 hour mark: zero. Number of questions Beast knew on the test: zero. Beast's grade: B+ and one sweet ass email from Dr. Suicide saying how much she appreciated me as a student. I guess I survived the premed path, even though I never had and never will have any intention of being a doctor.

I majored in biochemistry and cell biology not because I had an overwhelming need to save the world from bioterrorism or cancer, but because I was encouraged by immigrant parents. Well more like coerced, if tying your child to a cadaver table and lighting a Bunsen burner under their ass can be considered coercion.

"Darling what do you want to do when you grow up?"

"Doctor! Doctor! Doctor!"

"Again, what is it you want to do for a living? Louder, so your father can hear."

"DOCTOR. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD--DOCTOR."

"Honey, its ok, you can turn off the Bunsen burner, and oh, call the doctor. I think Beast is on fire."



They fell in love with the immaculate white coat before they even fell in love with me, their child. They never bought me any toys and one summer my reading list included my mother's old pharmacology book. The book was taller than me by about one inch. I was the reluctant nerd child, playing in the garden with the bamboo plants( yes, bamboo plants because this is California. If I had grown up in Connecticut it probably would have been spruce). I would take the bamboo shoots and snap them in half, then I would pretend that the shoot was a human femur. I would take a piece of clay or string and put the broken piece back together. An aching bunion? No problem, let me get my scissors. A popped knee cap? Hold on while I grab the Elmer's glue. A club foot? Wait while I grab the hammer from the tool shed. Dr. Beast the neighborhood podiatrist. If you were a piece of bamboo then I was your doctor. And oh my, the miracles I could perform!

Ambition having failed me. Or is it the other way around? Having failed ambition, I am now a loser. A nobody. A twidler. A sham. Here I am, stymied, stuck, and mucking around. Whistling. Raging. Crying. Scoffing. Hello everybody, I am a loser.
I don't know where my life is going. Truthfully: I don't even want to find out. And if there is a premise that agrees with me at the present moment it is this one:

King Midas: "What is best in life?"

Silenus: "What is best is not to be born. Second best is to die early."


That's Greek wisdom for you and at the moment it agrees with me. The problem is it agrees with me too much. I don't want to fight it.


by: impeccable beast

6 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hello Beast I am a loser too. We must keep these things in mind, choosing to lose is powerful and interesting one never knows were one could end up. And that being a loser is becoming a bit trendy like hobo bags and chunky silver jewerly so perhaps it is time to move on to the greener pastures of, well I am not quite sure yet. But this one thing I do know, you are no doctor and your immigrant parents should be proud. A doctor and a robot are the same, and avery large detailed script is provided and vary rarely are new paths laid down and if they are, they only benifit the few(the merry and the rich). You seem more fluid, perhaps a career in the arts? Writing maybe? You seem to be very good at that. But what does very good mean exactly? What is the purpose of the ever expensive school? This country depends on a large middle class and a good portion of skilled laborers to do all the dirty work. And these people need people like you to entertain and possibly maybe get them to see that there is life outside of the doctor box and school box and any other containers that, well contain us. Keep in mind that I am a loser as well, and a bit obsessed by shiny thing, damn those advertisers, they have me!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

good post. Just passing through, cool blog by the way.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

princess, it is nice to know that you are not standing in front of shiny things and staring into them with hypnotic racoon eyes, or you wouldn't have written such a wise note. Alright, I will cheer up. I just had to have a melodramatic moment, melodramatic moments are crack for me. I know that your kinda of crack= handbags + shoes. A big hug from Beast.

The Humanity Critic--Thanks for visiting and the encouraging words.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Monkey said...

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD--DOCTOR."

I found this horrifying and entertaining at the same time.

My human's father wanted her to be a writer to fulfill his unlived dreams. She did her duty, got published and then her parents realized that "good Lord, what if she writes about us??"

Karma, my friends. Karma.

And Beast... if you are a loser, then I am a snail on the road to hell.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

Beast, chuckles, and thanks monkey. Monkey's human a published author? Now that intrigues Beast. What sort of genre?
Beast says: lovely chatting with you.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Monkey said...

Monkey's human is a hack.

Short fiction, essays and puff pieces designed to manipulate the public into buying things they don't need. No books for my human.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home