mercredi, mai 24, 2006

A Dozen Reasons...



Victoria the whimsical. Victoria the wise. Victoria the enigma. Victoria the prize. Victoria the angelic. Victoria the elegant.

Victoria, I despise...

My doppelganger has wavy brown hair, jade green eyes, and skin as smooth a creme fraiche. She's beautiful. She's half German and half Italian: the perfect union of logic and passion. I have brown, spoon shaped eyes: dark, penitent, sunken. In 7th grade, my school teacher made us read the Diary of Ann Frank, and it was that year that classmates and strangers alike would approach me, holding their copies and pointing at the grainy black and white photo of Ann on the cover.

"You know, you look just like Ann Frank," they would chime. The benign introduction would tiptoe into a rhetorical assault: "She's ugly, isn't she?"

Oh, those green eyes! I never longed for those green eyes more than at that moment. Their Greta Garbo iciness. The eyes of Queen Christina. The eyes of Camille. Regal, dramatic, lustrous.

The same green eyes of my mother; eyes that can peel layers and layers of your soul away like dry paint. I suppose Victoria looked more like my mother's daughter, than I. What a slighted and quivering "I", I had become. Standing there, head bowed, body supplicant and accepting of their derision.

Our fates as women were decided as children. I would always play the martyr to her muse. She was destined to shine, I to cast. I was the shadow: perfectly happy to skip along side her, to watch admiringly from the sidelines. I adored Victoria. And for a long time I was even forgiving of her beauty, her intellect.

One day my mother invited Victoria over to help decorate Easter eggs. "Beast, can you tell me how many eggs we have total?" my mother's voice echoed from the kitchen.

I promptly started counting the eggs in the carton, one by one. My knotty, childish fingers striking the air.

"A dozen!" Victoria interjected before I could finish. By then my mother was hovering over the table, and shot a glance in my direction. A glance that seemed to say, "is my kid really this stupid". I could feel my ears burning. I turned to look at Victoria. She was looking squarely at my mother, and clearly avoiding my reaction.

"Sorry," she uttered in a lamb like tone, a glint of superiority in her eye.

Victoria the arrogant. Victoria the proud. Victoria the vile. Victoria the cunning. Victoria the elitist. Victoria the despised.

3 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ahhhh Beast, I despise this! I really do. Let me explain, I grew up in a small L.A suburb by the name of claremont. In claremont and in the world being fair skinned and light eyed is prized above all. There is this giant nasty McModel look that so many want to follow. Well I have put my fin down! I have to stop it, or atleast try to change the slippery undercurrent of notions of beauty that are spreading and expanding like wild fire.
I acknowledge your pain. What is little Victoria up to now?
I am especially terrified by your statement that all women are shaped in childhood. Absolutely horrifying thought!

And Beast, I have been to Nepal, and you look nothing like Miss Frank.

Sincerely,
Princess Shark

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger The Impeccable Beast said...

She is in St. Petersburg, in a Eastern European Studies program. Smart girl. Her parents are well known and respected egyptologists. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And me. Just a working class girl, from a working class family. I'll never be the intellectual. There's too much grit and dirt under my nails. Oh well. Here I am, doing what I hate most! Funny how life turns out. At times it feels too much like a cruel jest. I wonder if certain people are just destined to be successful, or is it a choice? If its a choice, then why have I not made the CHOICE to be successful?

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Excellently said Beast. Sometimes it is so easy to get wrapped up with the dirt underneath our finger nails that we do not stop to see that we are drowning in a pool of pod people and that we are far, far from our destinies. But like our good childhood friend smoky the bear says, only we can prevent a forest fire.

Sincerely,
Princess Shark

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home