Parent's Manual: Read, Heed, and Follow Through!
I want to take the time to introduce you all to the wonderful vitriol,verse, and wit that is Philip Larkin. This poem should be read and re-read by people who plan on having children. For those who have already crossed that unforgiving threshold, I offer a prayer, holy bread, and gallons and gallons of wine. Now go drink yourselves into oblivion!
Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse
They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.
But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.


7 Comments:
But what will you eat? All the 'Oldies' are awfully tough.
I knew you two were in cahoots.
Can I send this poem to my mom on Mother's Day?
..."I love you, Mom! Thanks for making me so damn interesting!"
Hmm.
whoa!!!! Beast is pregnant!!
Oops...silly me, too late! (Girlish giggle). I'm having way too much fun with her to think about how many years of therapy she'll need because of me.
Satan:
I love you. You are my new crush!
Fritz:
I believe Hallmark would benefit from special messages like these. Girl, your picture went from looking like that cartoon character Cathy to a sexy Angelina Jolie Doll, Are you sure you aren't Angelina posing as Fritz?
Calzone: Satan impregnated me unfornately. It was a torrid affair. I gave birth to the child today and I'm going to take it to Mt Olympus to let it die. Actually, Topanga Canyon near Malibu is closer. Maybe Tom and Katie will adopt our evil child!
Sourthern:
I believe 20 years from now I will be in therapy. Can everybody say Oedipal Complex?
Just what I need, another crush...
Oh Beast! It is true, this poet's words. Each family is designed to scar it's inhabitants. No matter what you do, no matter how enlightened you may be, you will hurt and dissappoint your offspring.
It is the Great Circle of Life. We spend our late 20's and our 30's learning how to unlearn all the things we learned from our families. All of our misshapen coping mechanisms must be shed for us to be truly ourselves.
Jung has things to say about this. I read him for comfort in times of uncertainty and self-flagellation.
Satan is collecting crushes. Beware the Pasta Faced One! He collects souls and hearts. Hearts and Souls. R&B.
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home