Mystic Symmetry


"Man-Moth"
If you catch him,
hold up a flashlight to his eye. It's all dark pupil,
an entire night itself, whose haired horizon tightens
as he stares back, and closes up the eye.
Butterflies elicit smiles, moths grimaces of disgust. As a child I had a fondness of catching Swallowtails butterflies that would cluster around my mother's bougainvilleas. Large and clumsily creatures, they were never as quick as their diminutive Monarch or Viceroy counterparts, and thus would always fall prey to my childish grasp. Feverishly beating their wings in long eyelash-like strokes, they would struggle and slowly wither in my palms. It was a cruel hobby for a child. The cruelty escaped me. Perhaps I was too mesmerized by their ethereal beauty to fully understand the impermanence and frailty of their constitution.
I would release them: damaged, broken, translucent. Hands covered with a powdery yellow essence, I would not stop to consider how thoughtlessly and greedily I had hoarded and robbed them of their magic.
My experience with moths on the other hand has been less than magical. Gypsy moths have invaded my cupboards on more than one occasion(they seem to have a penchant for Barilla pasta) and have even eaten their way through a whiter-than-the-pearly-heavens white cashmere sweater. Damn, those creatures for having such expensive tastes! Moths and butterflies fit the standard dualities of: pleasant vs. unpleasant, light vs. dark, auspicious vs. inauspicious.
In European folklore a black moth is a harbinger of death if it enters your home. However, a white moth if found in one's home represents the soul of a deceased family member. The Taqui, Indians of Mexico regard moths as the intermediaries between the world of the living and the world of the dead.
Butterflies on the other hand have enjoyed a more benign status and connotation, embodying the sensual, graceful, and feminine.
I find that a moth warrants equal attention and awe although it's beauty is not nearly as accessible as that of a butterfly's. In comparison, the moth is not as flashy; its color spectrum is not as diverse. It's activity is reserved for the nocturnal and waning hours. Peering back at us with false pupils, it seems to know our fears. It can stare us down, intimated us, and hold us captivate with it's mystic symmetry. In those strange eyes we glimpse our most primitive and vestigial portions: split, discarded, and made whole again.


5 Comments:
Moths are for eating! Plain and simple.
Butterfiles taste with their feet, If ever they landed on a moth with they'd think, Mmmmmm, yum!
As a child, I did the same thing with butterflies, and other insects, only in my case, the torture was deliberate. I used to purposely break their wings and pull the legs off other insects…and so much other kind of torture that the mere thought of it now disgust me of my personhood. In my case, there was no innocence, and all pleasure in leaving them crippled to die, after I was done playing with them. I guess that I was feeding my beast. The question you ask of your visitors is what kind of a beast would they be? I think that I wouldn’t be a human, which to me is the worst kind of beast…that derives pleasure out of other’s misery. I like to think that I am a changed man now: The other day, I let a spider get on to my hand and let it do its thing; it just walked all over my hand, trying to figure out what it was on. It felt good to not hurt it, so I let it go. You talk about the differences between moths and butterflies; to me, all animals are just as beautiful, except women…I think that some of them are cute as well…which is their troublesome feature in its eerie kind of way. Anyways, a well written piece, like usual.
Da Monkey
"Da monkey"
Wow, I think I need to send you over to Satan's not so humble abode.. Yep you gotta go down under...
P.S Monkey better not catch you using his name...You might just end up the next victim of the fuzzy fecal bullet...
Wink.
No, you are a reformed man now. I believe you. Wait, then again you are a man so I probably will never believe you.
Butterflies are the little pretty insects no one complains about. They are the supermodels of the bug world.
Moths are plain, pedestrian, annoying, futile in attempt to seek light. But moths are so very complicated, to me.
There are HUGE moths, and tiny moths, and old moths, and lover moths, and friendly moths, and moths that live in clothing, and moths that have beautiful patterns. There are moths that are particular about mating, and theirs is a scientific love humans could never understand. Moths smell and feel, and keep cats amused.
Yes, I rather like moths. They are, as you say, a very human species of bug.
Fritz: According to Satan they are good for eating. He should know. Next time I have a dinner party, I'm going to serve moths wrapped in bacon.
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home